Friday 3 July 2020

Tanya Farrelly

Tanya Farrelly is the author of three books: a short fiction collection When Black Dogs Sing (Arlen House), winner of the Kate O’ Brien Award 2017, and two psychological thrillers: The Girl Behind the Lens and When Your Eyes Close (Harper Collins). She teaches at the Irish Writers Centre, Dublin and is the founder and director of Bray Literary Festival. Her second short story collection is forthcoming from Arlen House.

What book(s) are you reading right now?

Right now I’m reading and very much enjoying The Glass Room by Simon Mawer. It begins with a honeymooning couple in Venice who engage an architect to build a modern glass house for them back in their home country: Prague. The story is set before and during the second world war. The husband Viktor is a successful Jewish car manufacturer and the family’s lives are completely upturned when they are forced to leave behind everything familiar. I’m not quite halfway through, but the writing is beautiful and the story intriguing so I daresay it will be a winner!

A book you loved reading as a child.

It depends at what age we’re talking. When I was about 10, I absolutely adored The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis. In truth I still do. A dear friend bought me a gorgeous illustrated version of the Chronicles of Narnia a few years back and I love it. At 12, I began to read a lot of the classics. In particular, I loved Little Women, which I read numerous times, also Wuthering Heights and The Mill on the Floss.

A book you have given as a gift / recommended to a friend.

Like everyone, I love to gift my favourite books! So, I’m pretty sure I’ve bought several copies of Enduring Love by Ian McEwan, The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

The first and last books on your bookcase/shelf.

Like most writers I’m a hoarder of books, so we have many bookshelves in our apartment. I’m going to go with my “Irish” bookshelf. The first book is Let the Great World Spin by Colm McCann and Absolute Zero Cool by Declan Burke.

A book you have read more than once.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I’m a massive fan of Du Maurier and Rebecca is a total masterpiece.




No comments:

Post a Comment