Saturday 4 July 2020

Glen Wilson

Glen Wilson is a multi-award winning Poet from Portadown. He won the Seamus Heaney Award for New Writing  in 2017, the Jonathan Swift Creative Writing Award in 2018 and The Trim Poetry competition in 2019. His poetry collection An Experience on the Tongue is out now with Doire Press. Twitter: @glenhswilson

What book(s) are you reading right now?

I always end up with a few books on the bedside table, they usually include a devotional, in this case Tozer on the Holy Spirit by A.W Tozer who writes so beautifully about matters of faith. I always have a book of poetry as well, at the moment it is The Deep Hearts Core: Irish Poets Revisit A Touchstone Poem (Dedalus Press), an anthology of poets with one of their own poems, this is particularly interesting as the poets expand on what prompted the poem, some background and the importance of the piece for them. It’s a great selection including poets like Pat Boran, Dermot Bolger, Eavan Bolan, Moya Cannon, Iggy McGovernand Anne-Marie Fyfe. And lastly I always have a novel on the go, I usually veer between crime fiction, historical fiction (the Roman period being of particular interest) or sci-fi, at the present I’m reading The Old Republic series from Star Wars: it’s just nice escapism to drift off to sleep!

A book you loved reading at a child.

I always loved Roald Dahl as a child and Danny Champion of the World was a favourite, he is a master of creating a whole world and the sense of adventure of this one has never left me, even just seeing the cover of this book takes me back.

A book you have given as a gift / recommended to a friend.

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith is a heart-warming series set in Botswana, I would recommend any of the books for anyone looking for a feel-good read. In terms of poetry I’ve recently finished Threading the Light by Ross Thompson (Dedalus Press) and it’s fantastic, search it out!

Your favourite anthology.

I would recommend the Staying Alive series (Staying Alive/Being Alive/Being Human) from Bloodaxe books, there is great mix of lesser known lights and well known classics, a brilliantly curated collection by Neil Astley.

A book yet-to-be-released (as time of writing) which you are looking forward to reading.

I’ve been waiting for The Winds of Winter by G.R.R Martin (as I’m sure many other Games of Thrones fans have) but given the gaps between his previous volumes of the series I could be waiting for a little longer. The television series and the books diverged a few years back so it will be interesting to see which direction the book takes when it does eventually come out. Another book that I’ve been waiting on that just arrived is In the Museum of Misremembered Things (Doire Press) by Linda McKenna which I’d highly recommend; Linda writes such wonderful vivid poems so get yourself a copy as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment